"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." --John Muir, 1898

Monday, June 18, 2007

Meditation: Annie Dillard on Mountains


A quote from one of my favorite authors, Annie Dillard, from her amazing book, A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek:
The mountains ... are a passive mystery, the oldest of all. Theirs is the one simple mystery of creation from nothing, of matter itself, anything at all, the given. Mountains are giant, restful, absorbent. You can heave your spirit into a mountain and the mountain will keep it, folded, and not throw it back...
I was feeling restless Sunday evening, so I drove down to Manitou Springs and walked down Manitou Avenue for a while. The air was warm and I'd just finished reading a book about the open road and so I couldn't sit still. And I was thinking about how important the mountains are to me and why I am putting up with so much tension and chaos and unsettledness at the moment; why I often feel isolated; why the decision to relocate to more hospitable environs isn't an easy one; why even relationships sometimes tend to take second place to those giant spires of rock and earth. But, like Annie suggests, I heaved my spirit into the mountains long ago and they have absorbed it, sealed it up. I wonder if, by engaging them, living among them, I am not merely trying to find that surrendered spirit...but if I find it, would I really want it back?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin - WOW - THANK YOU!

I have never heard that quote and I am loving it. I have read it over and over letting each word sink in deaply.

I can understand what you are saying about the mountains...they pull at me every single day.

It was 1999 the first time I took in the beauty of Colorado. I spend the next 4 years living, loving and exploring in the Gunnison Valley. And I have spend the last 4 years here in Michigan, doing nothing but dreaming of it.

My husband and I know that we will end up back there with our family someday - we just dont know when that day will be...but are praying that it be sooner than later.

THANK YOU for sharing. I totally enjoyed all your readings and pictures.
Lets keep in contact, ok?

Take Care and enjoy your view!

Happy Journies and Love from the flatlands :)
~Tara Schebil (Shuman)

Kevin said...

Awesome, Tara! Great to hear from you, too! Thanks for your thoughts. I hope that your own journey will eventually take you back to the mountains you love...