"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." --John Muir, 1898

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hike: La Plata Peak

Here are some photos from a hike I did with my buddy Clay over the July 4th weekend. Sadly, I've been really tied down lately (and the weather's been bad) and this is the last real hike I've done this summer. I'm hoping to get out this weekend though!

La Plata Peak, Elevation 14336. Our route was an easy Class 2, with just a bit of boulder scrambling the last mile or so to the summit. This peak is number 12 on my 14er quest.





We camped along an old 4x4 road the night before. This is the view from our tent. This is not La Plata Peak.





More of the surrounding peaks at sunset.











Early start the next morning. The forest was deep and we followed a creek for a good while.





About halfway up we hit some good snow fields. Wish I'd brought an ice axe for glissading!





The final stretch to the summit





Clay taking a break...





Getting closer...





Victory!



No comments: