"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." --John Muir, 1898

Monday, July 9, 2007

Hike: Pikes Peak Summit

Well, the marathon hike has come and gone. It was a good one, but long. I think the longest I've ever taken. The round-trip was 26 miles. I invited a new coworker to go along, as he is an avid hiker/backpacker and in great shape. It was great having the company on this epic dayhike.


We started the ascent at 4:30 AM with headlamps and arrived (13 miles later) at the summit around 11:00. I brought way too much in my pack, so I struggled a bit nearer the top where it became steeper and the air thinner. (I'm a bit of a preparedness freak.) I was a little disappointed in my fitness level after the months of working out and eating right. I suppose it would've been worse/impossible if I had not been rigorous about it, though. It is easy to forget that I am no longer a teenager full of boundless energy. I was sore enough yesterday to not even leave the house...

Here are some snapshots of the trip along the way. I was more concerned with lungs and muscles to spend too much time making art, but at least you'll get to see some of the scenery. Enjoy!

















Morning light on a nearby peak near the beginning of the trail.


















The A-Frame, a landmark three miles from the summit.

















Bart on the trail, past the A-Frame.

















An odd grove of dead trees.

















Our trail looking down from near the summit.

















Closer view of the switchbacks as they skirt a very deep cirque just over the edge.





















Another view of our trail on the way back down.







Panorama (such as it is) from the top. The train tracks belong to the Cog Railway that takes less-adventurous tourists to the madness at the top.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woot! Congratulations on making a fun, safe trip. That's quite an undertaking.

Kevin said...

Thanks! My joints weren't so complimentary the next day...

kathy said...

Hey, those were good pics and it looked like a rugged trail.

What do you mean you're not a teenager anymore??????????

Kevin said...

Just because I act like a teenager doesn't mean my body holds up like one anymore. :o)