"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." --John Muir, 1898

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 1: Arrival in Venice

It feels like a long time ago that Jared and I stepped off the plane and onto the ferry that took us to the old, sinking island(s) of Venice, although it was only this past May. I haven't taken the time to post my photos for several reasons. It's been a very busy summer, I haven't been in the mood to write much, and the photos are not very good. The only camera lens I took with me apparently has dust inside the lens manifest by myriad spots on the upper part of the frame, but, of course, these did not become visible until I'd returned home and started processing them. Somehow life goes on.

As we had not slept in 20 some-odd hours, Venice was a bit of a blur. I was so tired, but stayed up the rest of the day until evening. We took a boat tour of the Grand Canal, walked through miles of streets and back alleys and over countless bridges, took in our first Italian pizza, and settled into a cramped, but nice, hotel room. After an early breakfast, we made the long train ride west across the country to Vernazza in the Cinque Terre.


Saint Mark's Cathedral from the side. The amount of tourists in Italy this time of year (mid-May) was unexpected for me and a bit overwhelming.






Saint Mark's Square.






A typical Venetian alley.






A canal somewhere in Venice.






One of the purported 409 bridges over the 150 canals in Venice. We were about to float under it during our tour of the Grand Canal.






Another canal.






I believe this is the La Salute Dome. We saw this on our tour of the Grand Canal.





The next day can be found here.

No comments: