"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." --John Muir, 1898

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Day 1: Arrival in Barcelona

The following posts are a summary of my trip to Spain in 2013.  This is as much for me as it is for you.  I'm not going into too much detail, but it's a good place to gather some photos my trip in visual form beyond my journal.  Enjoy!

Arriving in Barcelona on Sunday about 8:00 AM, I had an entire day to kill before allowing myself sleep.  I didn't want to see any big sights since I was exhausted.  My hotel was just down a side-street from the Ramblas, a pedestrian thoroughfare filled with outdoor shops, vendors, street performers, and artists, leading down to Port Vell.  I walked down to the port and hung out at the towering Columbus monument and the boardwalk and pier for a while.  It was cold and rained a little.

I walked back up the Ramblas and explored some of the winding streets of the Barri Gótic, the city's Gothic quarter. Exhausted, I returned to the hotel for an early bedtime.

Click here for the next day...

No comments: