"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." --John Muir, 1898

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Days 4 and 5: Train to Madrid, Royal Palace

Today I took a four-hour ride to Madrid on the high-speed AVE train.  Did a little walking in the evening.  Not much to tell.




Next day I started off the morning with a pastry and coffee at the famous and frenetic La Mallorquina bakery.  It was worth pushing through the hordes to get at one of their napoleons.



I did a self-guided walking tour of the west side of town from Puerta del Sol: Plaza Mayor, the mesones, the Almudena cathedral, the Royal Palace, Plaza de Isabel II, and back to Puerta del Sol.

I quickly toured the Almudena cathedral in front of the Royal Palace.  It wasn't particularly worth the time except that I went up to the roof and was able to get some good shots of the Royal Palace.



The Royal Palace was grand and every bit as luxurious as Versailles
(except for the gardens).  Unfortunately, no cameras we allowed inside, so you'll have to take my word for it.  On a special note, the armory was positively amazing.  I'm not immensely interested in armor, swords, and other battle equipment, but this was a pretty fantastic display.

After a dinner of chicken, French fries, and eggs (surprisingly tasty), I strolled back to Plaza Mayor where I watched the crowds of people making the paseo (evening stroll) and sketched a bit of the façade in my journal.

Click here for the next day...

More images from the day


Sorry for the glare, but here are some delicious treats on display at La Mallorquina.

Another view of Plaza Mayor.

Side-street doorway.

The mesones--cave-like, rowdy bars--near the Mercado de San Miguel. 

The mesones.

Almudena Cathedral

Saint James having a moment with God on the roof of the Almudena Cathedral.

Royal Palace

Royal Palace entrance

I guess the Spaniards need to learn How to Win Friends and Influence People  as well.

No comments: