"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." --John Muir, 1898

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day 12: Puente Viejo, Bullring, Wandering in Ronda


Puente Nuevo
I set out this foggy morning on a hike down a country road to some trails leading to the base of the Puente Nuevo, or New Bridge.  The bridge spans a rocky gorge and the GuadalevĂ­n River.  The bridge divides Ronda into the "Old Town," where I stayed, and the "New Town" ("new," as in, it was built after 1485).  After a bridge that was built here in 1735 fell after six years, this "New Bridge" was built from 1751 to 1793.

Medieval wall and cliffs near the
Puente Nuevo.
I walked beside more of the ruined medieval walls and gates down to the gorge where the Puente Nuevo towered above the water and the city of Ronda perched on the cliffs above.

After the hike, I walked around town for a while, bought some groceries, and had lunch near a monastery.

The Bullring
I visited the bullring in Ronda.  Ronda is known as the birthplace of modern bullfighting, and the bullring is the "first great Spanish bullring".  The bullring also had an interesting museum.  I can't say I completely understand the fascination with bullfighting, but I have a better grasp of the culture.

I spent the rest of the day wandering the town, visiting parks, enjoying tapas, helado, and the sunset on my final night in Ronda.

More images from the Day


A country road I hiked on to get to Puente Nuevo.

A gate in the city wall near the Puente Nuevo.

Poppies along the hike.

Ruin of house near the Puente Nuevo.  There was a lot of water on the trail  to the bridge, flowing through little aqueducts and over old building foundations and rocks.  It was so green on this trail that climbed under a canopy of fig trees.

Another view of the Puente Nuevo and cascade.

These climbers' rungs led from the bottom of the gorge to the top .  There were
scores of them.
Upper level of the bullring stands.

Poppy in the morning sun.

Old timers enjoying the view.

No comments: