"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." --John Muir, 1898

Monday, June 23, 2008

Final Day: Amsterdam

Saturday

We got up around 3:30 on saturday morning and headed for the airport in a taxi. There's not much else to say except we had two giant layovers, and one of them was in Amsterdam again. This time, I was bound and determined to make it inside the Anne Frank House. We figured out the bus system this time and arrived just in time to stand in an enormous line that crept along. We weren't sure we would make it, but we did. We had to tour the museum with our backpacks on backwards and it was a challenge for me, especially since 1) I had no checked baggage; everything I took on the trip was in that backpack, and it was a bit heavy, and 2) I was so tired and there were many steep, narrow stairs to navigate. Anyway, it was great to see the house; I felt blessed.



Our last major layover was in Minneapolis, where we gave in and went to that imposing obscenity, the Mall of America. After being up for 30 hours or so, it was a bit of sensory overload (although, I think the place would have been so regardless).

We arrived in Colorado Springs late that night and back at my apartment sometime after midnight.

Here are some photos that were either a little arty or not really good enough to show earlier, but that have some significance. Enjoy!



An archway in Chateau de Chillon near Montreaux, Switzerland.






Murren, Switzerland, under snow.






An Alphaus we discovered on our hike to Kilchbalm.






Another street in Murren.






A paraglider (bottom right corner) gliding over the cliffs near Murren, Swizterland.






Alpenglow in Gimmewald, Switzerland.






Detail of a monument in Cathedralplatz, Salzburg, Austria.






Tower at Hohensalzburg Fortress, Salzburg, Austria.






View from a doorway in the Hohensalzburg Fortress, Salzburg, Austria.






Door at the Hohensalzburg Fortress, Salzburg, Austria.






Cathedral spires, Salzburg, Austria.






Detail of cobblestones, Salzburg, Austria.






Tulips at Mirabel Gardens, Salzburg, Austria.






Horse Fountain near Kapitelplatz, Salzburg, Austria.






The sign in front of Frau Balwein's on Moostrasse, Salzburg, Austria.






Elderly couple in the gardens of Schoenbrunn Palace, Austria.






Detail of the ceiling at the Gloriette monument, Schoenbrunn Palace, Austria.






Obelisk in Schoenbrunn Gardens, Austria.






Coffins at the Kaisergruft, Vienna, Austria.






Detail of coffin at the Kaisergruft, Vienna, Austria.






Reflections of St. Stephen's Cathedral, Vienna, Austria.






A street leading to the Hofsburg Palace, Vienna, Austria.






Willow leaves against a church window, Vienna, Austria.






Hofsburg Palace, Vienna, Austria.






Stained Glass in St. Stephen's Cathedral, Vienna, Austria.






Stained Glass in St. Stephen's Cathedral, Vienna, Austria.






Reflections of Charles Church, Vienna, Austria.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kevin, thanks for sharing your vacation with us. Hopefully, others will be inspired to visit these places, themselves. Stacy

Carrie N said...

Kevin, I really enjoyed reading about your trip and seeing the awesome pics. Of course, I'm looking a tad green at this point... thanks for sharing. Carrie N

Alicia Bullinger Kay said...

Hello Kevin,
I came across a photo you took of two cathedrals in Salzburg, Austria, while looking on Google Images. I was very taken with the photo, as a matter of fact I think it is gorgeous. I am hoping you won't mind if I use the image of the cathedrals for a rug I want to hook. I always like to check to make sure I am not infringing on any copyrights or anything. I live in North Carolina with my husband and 3 kids, and I hook rugs as a hobby. I couldn't help looking at some of your other photos on your blog. Great photography and what wonderful travels you've had. Take Care, Alicia in NC

Kevin said...

Alicia, I have no problem with you using my photo for your rug. Thank you for asking. The only stipulation is that I get to see a picture of the rug when you are done!

Alicia Bullinger Kay said...

Thanks Kevin. I now know your photo is of St. Peter's Abbey in Salzburg. Of course I will send you a photo when I am done with the rug. I have already sketched the design, and I would like to send you a picture of that now. Where should I send it? You can email me at akay@triad.rr.com.