"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." --John Muir, 1898

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hike: Great Gallery at Horseshoe Canyon

I took this hike last month, but was too preoccupied with posting the vacation photos that I haven't got around to posting this one until now.

Horseshoe Canyon is remote; in fact, Blue John Canyon is nearby. From the paved road, the dirt road leading to the trailhead takes at least an hour to drive. I camped at the trailhead that night. I saw a kit fox for the first time on a rock ledge. He let me get within a couple yards. His eyes were heavy and seemed more interested in sleep than me. We sat together for a while as I watched the sun set, and only when I pushed my luck did he run under a rock and "bark" at me until I left.

The next morning I hiked into Horseshoe Canyon to see the Great Gallery and accompanying rock art panels, perhaps the finest example of archaic rock art in the world. I had been wanting to see these for years. I hope you enjoy the photos of this incredible, mesmerizing landmark.



Driving up the dirt road to the trailhead, I had to stop for a photo or two. No roads, no people, just fantastic desolation.






Descending into Horseshoe Canyon.






This is the weirdest thing. It is a photograph of the fossil footprint of a three-toed dinosaur (there are several in the area). However, the photo is an unintended optical illusion (at least to me). It appears as thought the imprint is actually poking out as opposed to sinking in. If you rotate the photo 180 degrees, you will see that it is indeed an imprint. Very strange.






Farther down the Canyon.






Moon and bluff.






Detail of the first panel at High Gallery.






A wider shot of High Gallery.






Rock art at Alcove Gallery.






Detail of Alcove Gallery.






Some art I found interesting. Also, notice the lovely contribution of modern homo sapiens, known academically as "vandals".






Distant shot of Alcove Gallery, to put it into perspective.






Another alcove where rock art and ruins are found.






Peeking out from inside the alcove.






The pièce de résistance, the Great Gallery. For perspective, the largest rightmost figure is about 4 feet high.






Detail. Armless, ghost-like figures are indicative of this rock art style.






Detail. Note the intricacy and the two animal-like figures on his shoulders and the "lightning bolts" above each.






The Holy Ghost panel. This is the most popular panel. Look how beautifully composed it is. Several types of painting techniques are employed here.






Detail of central Holy Ghost figure. Notice that, in addition to paint, the artist scratched designs into the body.






Detail.






This piece fascinates me. It appears as if the figure on the left is being hanged. ?? There is another slender, ghost-like figure to the right of the main figure.






The animal figures appear to be mountain goats. Notice the two sparring figures at the right, swords/clubs in hand.






An oasis up a side canyon in which I stopped for a snack and rest.






Prickly Pear blossoms.






Bearded lizzard.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos! Some of those rock art panels are so well preserved. I hope they stay that way.

The one with the fossil foot print was an interesting optical illusion. I almost needed to be chemically altered to get it.

Kevin said...

Nah, just stand on your head. :o)

Unknown said...

The rock art is really fascinating. I find it a little freaky. It's strange that the sparring figures have arms but the other, ghost-like figures don't. In the one with the goats, the armless figures appear to be watching from above, like floating.